Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Now I understand that it is hard for some kids to say certain words. There are times that I have to really rack my brain to try and figure out what my kids are saying. Like when Noah was little it took me forever to realize what he meant when he asked if he could have "geenaw". I will give you a minute to see if you can figure it out............... if you guessed 'candy' then you figured it out alot faster then I did.

Well this has been a recent occurance since Amelia was born. Both Elias and Noah have had a hard time pronouncing her name. Noah really has to annunciate her first name, 'A-mill-ee-a' or sometimes he leaves out the first letter, 'Mill-ee-a'. He pronounces every syllable. Elias slurs her first name together, 'millia'.

The fun part has been listening to them try to pronounce her middle name, 'Naomi'. Noah, when asked what his sister's name is will respond with, "A-mill-ee-a Wyoming". Yes, I said WYOMING! We then tell him her name is not 'Amelia Wyoming', but 'Na-o-mi'. He can say it if he really concentrates, but most of the time it comes out as Wyoming.

Now Elias pronounces it even funnier! The other day at church a sister that was sitting behind us held Amelia during sacrament meeting. Joey was holding Elias and trying to occupy him by asking him him where his eyes were and were mommy was, etc. When he got to asking him where Amelia was Elias leaned over the back of the pew, pointed at her and said, "Millia My Homie right dhere!". Now, as most of you know, children under the age of about 6 tend to not be able to talk in a quiet voice, especially at church. To add to it, he kept saying it over and over again! "Millia My Homie, Millia My Homie, Millia MY HOmie". Yes, he did emphasize the 'O' in homie. The sister holding Amelia just started giggling. Along with most of the congregation. She leaned forward and whispered, "What is he saying?". I whispered back (trying not to laugh out loud), "He is saying his sister's name. Amelia Naomi". She got a kick out of that! What's funny to me was the look on Elias' face. He was so proud that he thought he was saying her name correctly that he was beaming! Too fun!

1 comment:

  1. I love stories like that!! When Bailey was first born and people would ask Taysum about his 'sister' he would just crow like a rooster. They were saying sister, but he was hearing rooster! Also, my nephews called her Billy forever...so fun!!

    ReplyDelete